Friday, April 13, 2007

This time last week I was worried about my tomatoes. A month after sowing and still no sign, so I got Mick to pick up some more seed on his way home - "Sungold" this time. Then ,of course, i sowed them and all the original seed started germinating - i've a feeling i've been here before ;o)

It's all happening now. As a quick run down, here's what we've got so far....


Cucumber 5 germinated out of 5 Unfortunately though 3 were eaten by slugs, despit the slug
prevention gel! I have sown 3 more.
Courgette 2/2
Pumpkin 1/1
Squash 1/1
Garlic chive 0/12
Parsley 0/12
Brussels 14/22 Although i would say only 2 of the seedlings look healthy - not quite sure what the problem is with the others.
Leeks 30/50 Sowed 2 to a pot and in most pots both have germinated
Tomatoes 3/16
Carrot 2/6
Beetroot 0/11 One set i soaked before sowing to (hopefully) aid germination
French Bean 5/6
Pea 22/29
Sweetcorn 6/9
Lettuce 2/11 plus the tray of cut and come again which i have thinned a little and is doing really well.

We were really busy throughout the Bank Holiday weekend getting the beds sorted and now have two ready for planting up this weekend.

I think I will plant out the courgettes/pumpkin/squash under fleece as they are getting a bit leggy. It's worth the risk as they are so fast growing but I'd better get the copper rings out to protect them from the slugs!

I have been given 4 tomato plants from my neighbour (after hearing my tales of woe over the non germination!) so looks like we won't be short ;o)

Other exciting news is the strawberries in the green house are in flower. This was an experiment really as we had to get rid of some of our plants so i just put them in pots in the greenhouse. I hadn't expected them to do very well, but so far at least they seem to be loving it :o)

On a rather less exciting note we have a wasp's nest right in front of the shed door...

No comments: